Last Monday I attended an important meeting in Ministry of Health Office in Presint 1, Putrajaya. The meeting discussed the placement of the new Orthopaedic surgeons. There are in total, 12 of us. The meeting was chaired by Dato' Rama, as the head of the committee, and attended by Dato' Premchandran, the head of the Malaysia Orthopaedic Surgeons and Mr Zulkiflee Osman, the Penang Head of Orthopaedic Department. The head of Melaka Orthopaedic Department also present during the meeting.
For me, the placement meeting was done in a transparent manner. There were 12 places that were written on the whiteboard and the 12 of us have to choose 1. If 2 or more person choose a place, then they have to discuss and come up with only one name, if not, finally, they may have to toss a coin. We are not allowed to request places that are not on the board...and Hospital Temerloh, where I want to go to, was not there... : (
After a heart-beating discussion in an intense environment, the final placements are as follows:
- Mahyuddin Mohamed - Hospital Sultanah Nur Zahirah, Kuala Terengganu
- Sazali Salleh - Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan, Kuantan, Pahang
- Maidin Sarman - Hospital Batu Pahat, Johor
- Nur Shaidi - Hospital Kluang, Johor
- Kamarul Al-Haqq - Hospital Langkawi (Gazzetment in Hosp Alor Setar)
- Saifullah - Hospital Sungai Petani, Kedah
- Kunaseelan (PPUM) - Hospital Melaka
- Tan CW - Hospital Sri Aman, Sarawak (Gazzetment in Kuching)
- Edewet Daun - Hospital Queen Elizabeth, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
- Fadhli Miskon - Hospital Sultanah Aminah, Johor Bahru, Johor
- Azian (PPUM) - Hospital Selayang, Selangor
- Radzali (HUSM) - Hospital Kangar, Perlis
Some of my friends ask me, "why don't you fight for Kuantan?". Well, the answer is very simple, 'I honour my promise and I put my friend above myself'. I told Sazali before the meeting, I will not raise my hand for Kuantan, even though I will be sent to Sabah or Sarawak.
I know, I will be further away from my wife and kids by working in Kuala Terengganu. But, should I trade my happiness with my friend's sorrow? The answer is clear, definitely NOT.
The saying of the Prophet Muhammad PBUH always in my mind (I memorized this hadith during my matriculation years): "Each one of you will not be considered a mukmin (believers) until he loves his brother (akhi/friends) the same way like he loves himself".
May Allah protects our hearts and strengthen our Iman to be in the straight path, ameen.